The Master of Advanced Studies in CAAD program is open to graduates with work experience in the field of architecture and related disciplines. We seek participants that have an interest in obtaining an deeper insight into what computers mean in the broad world of architecture.
Applicants to the MAS program must already have obtained a master's degree. However, in rare cases of particularly strong portfolios we are willing to waive this requirement. The MAS program is taught entirely in English, and thus good communication skills in English are a prerequisite.
The MAS Class of 2009/2010 has 14 students. Roughly 80% of the students are international participants, of which half come from outside of Europe. In terms of backgrounds, two thirds of the students have previously studied architecture, while the others have degrees in fields such as anthropology, agro-ecology, micro-engineering, and bio-physics. The average student age is 30. Student pages - some with CVs and portfolios - can be viewed here: Student Pages
Applicants must fill out both an application form at the Centre for Continuing Education, and must send a representative portfolio of their work. The steps are outlined below.
- Applications for the 2012/2013 class will be accepted as of January 1st, 2012.
- The application deadline for the 2012/2013 class is April 30th, 2012 .
- Admission decisions will be mailed out by the end of May 2012.
- The MAS 2012/2013 Program will begin on Wednesday, September 19th, 2012.
2. Program Fees
- Please note that program fee for the 2012/2013 has increased. The total fee for the 2012/2013 program is 12,000 CHF.
3. Official Application Forms
4. Portfolio / Reference of Work
- In addition to the application forms from the "ETH Zentrum für Weiterbildung / Centre for Continuing Education", it is mandatory to present an insight into your work. Please prepare a representative portfolio, preferably in a printed version, or alternatively as a PDF file, a CD-ROM (Mac or Windows) or an internet-based presentation. This portfolio should not be sent along with your other forms, but should be sent separately to:
HPZ Floor F
We can return portfolios to you after the admission decisions have been made.
- During the examination process of the applications and portfolios we may contact you to schedule an interview and clarify questions and goals. This can be done by phone, video-conferencing, email or through a personal interview here at the department.
For further information please contact Michael Hansmeyer, MAS Program Coordinator, at hansmeyer(at)arch.ethz.ch.
Visits to ETH Zurich and specifically the CAAD Department can be arranged. Please contact us to schedule an appointment.
Note: We receive many inquiries regarding German language skills. German language skills are not required for admission to the program. Classes are taught exclusively in English, and students are strongly encouraged to use English amongst themselves.
Individual thesis mentoring
Group work in CAAD studio space